A- A A+


Sales – Oren
Lutzi Oren, the daughter of Marian and Celina Sales
Born in Boryslaw, Poland

I was born in Boryslaw in 1925. My father was a leather merchant and had large warehouses. My mother was a housewife. Our economic situation was good. My parents lived and acted as if they were Poles. I had a younger brother, Isidor. By 1939, when the war broke out, I already graduated from the Polish High School.
With the beginning of the German occupation, the Ukrainians were encouraged to hold a pogrom. The Ukrainians moved from home to home, robbed and killed the occupants. My grandfather and my uncles were among the first victims. My cousin was murdered in front of my eyes. My father continued working for a few more months. After a while, Germans looted our house, taking valuables and furs.
During the third Aktion, I was taken away together with my friend, Aryeh (my future husband) and other young people to forced labor. Our work was to load spare parts for tanks on trains. I was fifteen years old. Afterwards, we were transferred to the Ghetto. In 1941, Aryeh and I were captured and were imprisoned in a movie house with hundreds of other young people. The Jewish policemen guarding us, beat us all night long. Our valuables were taken from us. My father asked one of the German commanders to release me. A miracle happened and I was released. I hid with my family in the forest and in the ghetto, and at night we built two bunkers in Aryeh’s parents’ yard. The bunker where my mother and others hid, was discovered and everyone was murdered. The bunker where I hid was not discovered and all eight of us survived.
We stayed in the bunker for 18 months until the end of the war. Someone supplied us with sugar cubes, wheat and water. A German man also helped us, because when he was a student in Berlin, he was helped by a Jewish family. We were liberated in 1944.
I lost my parents, my brother, my grandfather, my grandmothers, my aunts and their children.
I married Aryeh at the town hall in Boryslaw. My daughter Tzila was born in Boryslaw. After liberation we remained for a while in town staying with Aryeh’s parents. In 1945 we left for Gliwice in Poland. In 1946 Aryeh and I were married in a religious Jewish ceremony. I worked in accounting and Aryeh studied engineering. After graduation he was hired by a company as a chief engineer. Our son Eli was born in 1954. In 1957 we traveled from Poland to Italy by train. From there we traveled to Israel by a Jewish agency’s ship.
I worked in “Tadiran” for seven years and was among the group that assembled the company’s first car radios. Later, I managed a fashion factory for 30 years.
I have two children, Tzila and Eli, six grandchildren and twelve great grandchildren.

מתוך זוכרים לדורות תעוד ניוצלי שואה -תושבי רעננה -באישור הבן רוקן אלי -תל אביב.